Interview with a Pro Affiliate: DEADZ

OpenAFF is the first technology affiliate network

Luke

Admin
Staff Member
Community Leader
Today's addition to our Interview with a Pro Affiliate series is an exciting one for me because the super affiliate I interviewed is someone I follow closely and someone I know most members of our community also follow closely :)

That super affiliate is none other than... @DEADZ πŸš€

DEADZ has only posted on affLIFT about 500 times since joining in 2018, but every time he posts he provides insights that are hard to come by. He is more open and helpful than most people that have had his success with affiliate marketing and I really appreciate having him in our community.

Not surprisingly, DEADZ went deep in his responses to my questions and provided some really awesome and useful information. Check out our interview and post any questions below. I am sure he will be happy to answer :)

Interview with DEADZ​

πŸ’° How much is the most you have made in a single day with affiliate marketing?

In pure profit: $6k, if we're only talking about Media Buying.
If we're talking about Affiliate Marketing, in general: €23k.

😒 What is the most you've lost in a single day? I know from my own experience, I try to block out losses pretty quickly, but give me an estimate if you can't remember.

Not sure on the exact amount, but between $4k-$6k on direct losses on traffic + 2 advertisers didn't pay (around $3.6k) for that week of traffic.

The processs of taking that campaign from (deep) -ROI to ROI+ did give me a boost in confidence + I learned a lot (& really quick) from everything that was happening "around" the campaign (1 manager constantly trying to steal the campaign/setup, another asking me to push/stop traffic every few hours, learned how 1 big advertizer was manipulating/shaving conversions, negotiating next day payouts, managing traffic flow to offers/networks/advertizers based on what was happening, etc).

πŸ“š What is one book, article, or podcast that you think has helped you get where you are?

The main book that comes to mind is The War of Art. This is the only book I re-read every year (& more specifically, I re-read all the chapters under Book Two & Book Three). I think this book "resonates" so much with me, because (of my (INTP) Personality Type &) I take a divergent thinking approach, and relate/cross-reference the information (especially the parts about being a pro, muses, angels, routine, flow, etc) with other concepts & philosophies (like Wu Wei, The Alter Ego Effect, Rise of Superman, etc).

I also read pretty much any book that catches my attention (& that's directly applicable to whatever I'm currently focusing on), & apply a "2nd Brain Approach"- In short: Download epubs, speed-read (Elevate really helped) & highlight on iBooks (or E-Reader), copy the highlights to WorkFlowy (or any note app), and add own thoughts to the highlights (& add hashtags, categories, etc for easier search later).

And, Jay Abraham's content (all of it) has had a good amount of impact on my success, mainly the Maven & Preemenence concepts (& usually most of the marketers that I think are good at what they do, have been influenced (either directly, or indirectly) by Jay).

I'm a very big believer that your subconscious programming (good or bad) will have a lot to do with your success! So, I highly recommend: You Where Born Rich, The Power of Your Subconscious Mind, Heart of The Matter, This Whole Channel, & this video.

But, the biggest impact on my success (still) comes from my (own) Mastermind (formed with like-minded friends/individuals that have similar goals - a principle from Think & Grow Rich), Coaches (to help achieve specific performance based goals/results), & Mentors (to calibrating & staying on track with Personal Myth/Life Path), in real life - It would otherwise be (way) harder to (actually) put everything into practice.

⚽ What is your favorite hobby?

(House & Break) Dancing & Gaming (Fighting Games). Used to do both professionally.

⭐ What is your favorite affiliate network and why?

Traffic Company - For so many reasons. But #1 reason - They have the best Managers (& I say this after years of working with so many networks). And also a lot of people tend to agree. I think a lot of networks can (& should) follow their example. I've personally seen (& heard of) many cases where they've done what's best for their affiliates (vs just doing what's best for the advertizer/their own pocket).

And, I also have to mention MaxWeb here - Another network that other networks can (& should) learn from. Everything they do (from the 3x weekly payouts, youtube videos, how the managers give support, their activity in forums, etc) is geared towards (actually) serving Affiliates.

πŸ”§ What is your favorite affiliate marketing tool and why?

Kintura (eventhough it's dead). Machine Learning (especially when it's on the Affiliates side, & not just on the traffic sources) is a gamechanger. And it's not just about better ROI, it can also give Affiliates more leverage (most of the time you don't have any, unless you're a pro in a certain vertical, and/or have a unique setup) when dealing with Networks, Advertisers, & Traffic Sources.

No other tool is my "favorite" like that. With other tools, as soon as something breaks or doesn't feel right, I'm moving onto the next best option. But with Kintura (eventhough it had so many issues) I'd still be happy to see it come back, and I'd continue using it (as if nothing happened).

🧠 What is 1 skill you've learned since starting affiliate marketing that has helped you the most with getting your campaigns profitable?

(Actual) Media Buying - At some point (& this is somewhat like the "T-Shaped Marketer" concept) I just had to go deep(er) into (the fundamentals of) Media Buying - and that's when I started seeing more (& more) stability & success with my campaigns.

I recommend checking out - Malan Darras's (2014-2017) Archive, RedTrack's Supreme Guide to Affiliate Marketing Verticals, Pay Per Call Masterclass, ClickBank's "Affiliated" Videos, MaxWeb's Youtube Channel, & The Optimizer's Youtube Channel.

And also some other things that have helped me: Manual Spying, Case Studies/Webinars/etc (also from other countries/scenes: LATAM, ES, RU, Asia, etc), Data from Networks (newsletters, opportunity tools that shows actual data on geo's, devices, etc), More "Grilling" Conversations with Affiliate & Account Managers, looking at Media Buying strategies for different ad formats (like even if I'm running Banners, I can learn from people who run eCom on FB Ads), etc.

And, It has more to do with the perspective (shifts) that comes along with (actually learning) the skill.

Like, I remember some of my biggest "breakthroughs" happening at different points while learning Media Buying; when I started considering all my campaigns as a "portfolio" (of assets), and thinking differently about data (like small data vs big data & keeping the data clean, etc), and seeing different parts of the campaign (like the data, the setup, traffic, etc) as longterm assets, and developing my own personal approach (I have mainly 2, that I call "Phases" & "Pools"), and more.

I do think "lines are blurred" a lot in this scene...
Not all Affiliate Marketers are Performance Marketers or Media Buyers (or Vice Versa).

I recommend checking out this video (& this openletter for more) on this...

For example...

Anyone can add a link to a site/social media, & call themselves an Affiliate Marketer. Affiliate Marketers are usually focused on (just) monetizating - "just making money" (& I think most of us start here). But for example, when you start getting into (more specific forms of Affiliate Marketing, like) CPA Marketing - as in, you understand that when you're getting $1 per action (email submit, download, install, etc), that you (just) have to make sure that whatever you do to get people to complete that action, costs you less than $1, and you profit - now, you're entering Performance Marketing territory.

As a Performance Marketer your focus is more on scaling & optimizing, while making sure you hit specific KPI's. (To continue on the CPA Marketing example) When I was doing IG+CPA, and I figured out that I could make $1-$2/day per IG account, from there the goal/focus/math was "simple": Run 100 accounts/day = $100-$200/day, run 1k accounts/day = $1k-$2k/day, etc. And (just to further illustrate the difference), as a Performance Marketer, you don't have to be an Affiliate (or Media Buyer) - for example, you could decide to "use Affiliates/Media Buyers" instead, by being an Advertiser (& setting up your own offers) on Affiliate Networks (or running your own "Private Network", etc).

A lot of Affiliates tend to (just) "dabble" in Media Buying strategies & practices (without actually learning/having the skill for it), thinking that they just have to fit the (right) puzzle pieces together (like most are used to doing in (blackhat) SEO, SMM/Botting, etc), and that "the setup itself" will "just make money". And when that (money machine) doesn't work, you keep looking for that "missing piece", the "secret sauce" (tool/rules/etc) that you just need to add to the setup to fix the "money machine" - a.k.a. Shiny Object Syndrome (or maybe I'm the only one guilty of this).

There were 2 moments (during my earlier, & more unexperienced years) where I (just) got a Voluum subscription, deposited $200 on ZeroPark (& PropellerAds), and sent traffic to some smartlink hoping to (at least) just double my investment. And (of course) I failed. It wasn't until I started taking the skill "more seriously" that I started seeing more serious results.

Also, I personally consider myself (all of the above, but also more importantly) a Digital Entrepreneur. And (for me, personally) Affiliate Marketing/Performance Marketing/Media Buying/etc are all (sub)skills/disciplines that I have to master, as a Digital Entrepreneur.

I think that because I see myself as a Digital Entrepreneur (first), that this also changes the way I handle & deal in this scene. For example, (before) I used get this slight feeling of accomplishment when I got accepted into a top network, but now (no matter what network it is) I'm mainly looking for a good & personal fit/match (for a strong longterm partnership), above anything else (it's even to the point that I consider if I was on my last $1k, would I trust this manager to actually give me solid advice, or not).

But also...

CopyWriting - (Eventhough I don't use it directly in my Media Buying) At the end of the day, I think this is my #1 skill (for making money online, in general). If I look at my biggest successes in Affiliate Marketing (in general) it's mainly been because of copywriting.

The main thing is the perspective you get when you (really) understand the fundamentals of CopyWriting (p.s. this is a good CopyWriting book that can give some "instant" perspective shifts), & also how "Perceived Value" & "Suspension of Disbelief" work (especially on yourself) - all of this + Personal Experience (+ Mental Models + Trading Psychology + Stoic Philosophy) can help you make better decisions & not waste a lot of resources (time, money, energy, etc).

Side Tip - Something to (always) remember is that as Media Buyers, we're constantly dealing with "Risk" - we're constantly risking our own capital on offers/product/brands that aren't ours (no LTV for us here, unless it's revshare) - so (I believe), if traffic sources, affiliate managers/network, trackers, etc are really (actually good &) "on our side", then whatever they're offering should make our job less risky (for example, Traffic Sources that provide proper Whitelists (that actually work), Affiliate Managers that give recommendations with/based on actual data, etc).

πŸ“† I believe you are a full-time affiliate. How long did it take you to accomplish that?

Well, the thing is I never had a "normal job". So you can say I've been "Full-Time" since I was 19 years old (2009), but I started dabbling in Making Money Online when I was 16. For me (at least in my mind) there was no other choice.

The whole reason I started with Internet Marketing was because I wanted to avoid ever having to work for someone else, & this is literally something I deeply thought about, even at a very young age.

Even when I was just a kid, and grown ups would ask "What do you want to be when you grow up?", I would usually answer "Millionaire". And school was never my thing. I stumbled through schools (dropped out) a lot. I was only going to school, because I thought "I had to" & that there weren't any other options, but for me it was all very pointless (I also didn't have any longterm plans, visions, goals, etc).

One day (I was now 16), I was sitting in math class & the guy next to me said "Hey, Darnel... Check this out" & randomly showed me his Paypal account with $9xx.xxx,xx on it. At the time, I didn't even care to ask or think "how", "what" and/or if it was real or not (it was probably inspect element) - for me the mere fact that someone (with the same age, same background, & same location as me) could show me numbers like that on a laptop screen - (at the time) it was mindblowing, & enough for me to believe in the possibility of a life where I didn't have to follow "the standard path" (a.k.a. go to school, get a diploma, get a job, find a wife, have kids, etc) - I saw this event as "my sign from above" on how to (actually) become a Millionaire, like I've always said I wanted to be.

In 2009, I moved (out of my parents house, & away from my home island, Curaçao) to The Netherlands, mainly just following my creative passions (gaming & dancing), since you don't get those opportunities when you're living on an island. But, at the same time I was observing everyone around me (& how they thought about life, their future, freedom, income, goals, dreams, etc). The cost of living was also 2x higher than what I was used to, and I wasn't even used to living on my own yet, so I was more determined to make (more) money online (at the time, I was (already) making some money online, with Arbitrage on Ebay/Amazon/etc). So, this is when I started going down the "Shiny Object" rabbit hole (going through as many leaked courses, trying as many get rich quick method, getting scammed by as many guru's, as possible, etc), and I eventually started experimenting with SEO/SMM & Affiliate Marketing.

Around 2013 I had enough confidence to focus 100% on on Affiliate Marketing (I was also into Crypto, Betting & a bit of Trading, at the time). I found the most success in 2015 - and this was my new/young money phase, so I balled out (& enjoyed the luxury watches, cars, multiple girlfriends, etc) & crashed back to (what I consider) 0, all within the same year. And started building back up from there. Started doing some good numbers as a ClickFunnels Affiliate (& ClickBank, CJ, etc), and then Blackhat Social Media + CPA, and then I started getting into Media Buying.

I'd say between 2016 & 2018 is when I'd say I (actually) got to point where I'm confident in saying "this is (all) stable", now (a.k.a daily passive income that I can live off of). I also did lose some assets in those years (a lot of affiliate sites, some really big social media accounts, & some of my main affiliate accounts) - which I do miss every now & then, but all & all I'm confident & glad that I have skills that I can (always) count on to make money online.

πŸš€ What is 1 thing we can add to affLIFT to make it better? This can be something the community does or something I do personally to make the forum better.

Hard question, because I think the forum is doing well (as is), already. I personally consider affLIFT essential for Affiliates (especially beginners & intermediates) to get answers & help on anything. There's multiple times a week where (instead of having to answer certain questions) I just do a quick search on affLIFT & send people links to threads that already have the answer.

But this is just what comes to mind:

Maybe bigger contests - Maybe like aim for 1 a year that includes 3-6 networks, 3-6 traffic sources, & more deals & prizes for participants. I imagine it'd be harder to pull off, but could be something for the team to work towards during the whole year. And ideal/dream scenario would be that networks & traffic sources would want to "compete" against each other as well (to be the one in the winning thread), and offer "incentives" (specific campaign recommendations, higher rates, faster payments, recommended whitelists, bonus on deposit/spend, etc) for people to use their network/traffic source.

I also think (at some point) Community Leaders shouldn't participate in contests (in general), or maybe they can "donate" their wins to their favorite thread or something along those lines. I think the goal should be to stimulate more activity from newcommers, lurkers/more "unknown" members, etc (& also if executed correctly, these contests should pull more intermediate affiliates towards joining & participating in AffLift). I do think some members can get discouraged to participate if they see the most popular members (which are usually the community leaders) participating/winning all the time.

Also, the main thing that attracted me to affLIFT was because (at that time) Luke was making videos. So might be something to consider, like even if it's "monthly recap" videos on Youtube (like the videos from ExoClick, AdLeaks, and/or MaxWeb) & highlight best threads, tips, (interviews), etc of the month (& this can also serve as extra promo/asset for affLIFT).

πŸ‘Ž What is your least favorite part about affiliate marketing?

Managers (& Networks) That Lack Experience, Competence, Vision/Innovation, Character
- At this point (I look at it like) I'm the one interviewing Managers & Networks to find a good match (which is something I'm always doing, eventhough I have my main networks already). There's been many cases where I just stopped working with a network (even some where I was making 4-figures/week), just because of a (new) bad manager. I especially hate it when they don't respect Affiliates, as actual Marketers (a.k.a. they treat you as just proxy traffic sources, or they focus to much on "Marketing" you, etc). And I personally (but this also has to do with my personality type) find it hard to work with Managers that have very little experience (but still act like they do).

πŸ‘ What is your favorite part about affiliate marketing?

Freedom -
In every sense. From the freedom of choice on what (Affiliate Marketing) strategies & approaches to focus on (and you can always find a specific approach that suits you). To the freedom you get (mentally), which is something you notice more & more, especially through convo's & activities with people (that aren't into anything "Digital", like that), in your life. And the freedom you get in how you setup & use your time. And everything in between.

πŸ›‘ When you create a thread, I stop what I am doing to read it. Who is one member of affLIFT that you follow closely and recommend others follow (please don't pick me)?

I can't say that there'e one member that has that affect on me. But I always read anything that any one of the affLIFT team posts. And beyond that if any post from any member (randomly) catches my attention (& it's mainly the way they write that catches my attention, like I can usually "read someone's experience level"), then I'll do a quick deep dive on all their previous posts/threads.

Also shoutout (& RIP) to @JackySan.

🌠 What is one thread on affLIFT that every single member needs to read (besides this one)?

The "Best Of" affLIFT - Mega Thread

πŸ’» You have your own group of affiliates that you mentor. Tell us a bit about that.

So, by the time I started (really) focusing on Media Buying, I was already helping people make money online for years - by writing & sharing (free) PDFs, documenting whatever I was doing at the time (in an effort to make a difference in the forums that I was a part of, at the time).

Eventhough I was getting a lot of backlash (from people claiming I was killing the method by sharing it, to admins thinking it was all an elaborate scam). I slowly started taking what I was doing with those PDFs more & more seriously (& kept pushing), after I saw the impact I was having on people's lives (& especially this one was the main trigger for me). Here's just one (very outdated) example.

So this also allowed me to build up a strong following throughout the years. And most of these people follow me even to this day. So naturally when I started focusing more on Media Buying, I also started sharing what I was doing with my following.

And, after a while getting consistent & good results, I started brainstorming ways to reach that "next level" (for myself)...

So, I decided to launch "DEADZ Media Lab" (in 2018), which (for me) was meant to be an "alternative" to having my own Media Buying team, or Network, or Forum. And it's mainly a collection of (long) articles that give advice based on my experience & mindset, personal Media Buying approach, & specific campaigns that I run. There are some preview articles that I think will "speak for themselves" - in terms of the quality & type of content that people can expect from the private sections.

For anyone that might be interested in my private content - I'm actually planning on releasing the majority of my private content (for free) + adding more content (that include my unfiltered advice - on mindset, frameworks, and specific strategies - that I wish I could've had during my own journey), within the next few months (I'm aiming to release around December/January). And I'll do a proper announcement when that's done. So if anyone was/is interesting in getting access to (just) my private content, I'd advise them to wait (& keep an eye out) for the free version to come out.

But, the main benefit of joining DEADZ Media Lab is the 1-on-1 access people can get with me...

Here's some facts that might help you with that decision (or FOMO you might be feeling):

I'm not in the business of selling you anything
- I don't need anyone/everyone to buy anything from me, here. I'm mainly interested in finding people that match well with my personality. My goal is to serve as a trusted advisor for those (few) people. While also building longlasting relationships/partnerships - some people have been "with me" for 4+ years, now.

It's not a 100% success guarantee + I don't have an asburdly high success rate - I'd still say it's 50/50 on how successful (if at all) our relationship/venture will be. I also have to say, that (I believe, based on my experience in years of coaching) that I can help you the most, if you're making between $XX - $XXXX/day & you want to develop/sharpen your own personal Media Buying approach. The most I've helped someone get to (from 0) was Β£60k/day. The biggest Media Buying portfolio I've seen (from 1 team) was $XXM/month. But I've also seen people burn $XXk for (a lot of) months, before they got green. And also some that left the game with $Xk in losses. So it's still a case by case scenario. And even though I'm (very) confident in my abilities to help, I still can't/won't guarantee anything, at all.

Here's what I'm most excited about at the moment - Right now, I'm the most interested in helping with Natives (for Mainstream Verticals) & E-Mail (for Adult) campaigns (& $5k+/mo budget is recommended for both) - I'm seeing some really good opportunities (up to $XXXk/month) on both (& already helping just a very few people with these types of campaigns). But I'm confident that I can help with any type of campaign (I'm already helping quite a few people on different setups, ad formats, & verticals), but only if we're a good match for each other (& if not, I'm very upfront about it).

I'm also always interested in equity deals for any consultant/advisor roles and/or interesting joint ventures.

If (by any chance) you're (still) interested, you can fill in the form at the bottom of this article.
(or send me a message if you want to discuss further)

❓ What is one question I should have asked you that I haven't? Please answer it as well.

"Knowing what you know now, what advice would you give to (a past version) of yourself on day 1 of their journey into Media Buying?"

Research is #1 - And take as much time as you need to get confident in the next step to take (even if that means dedicating your first 1-3 months to just research). Try to get as much actual data (from opportunity tools on networks, insight reports, managers, case studies, etc) as possible. Don't just believe what blogs, forums, groups, managers tell you (a lot is sponsored in this scene). And ask questions in a "stupidly simple" way & see if you get (unannoyed) "stupidly simple" (that feel like "DUH") answers back. Understand the value chain (& risk) involved for everyone (for example, why should you be the Affiliate? When you can rebroker/whitelabel offers from 1 network to another & only pay for conversions?). Research market size/cap/growth & history of the main vertical(s) you're interested in (& also research the forums, groups, etc in that vertical). Look for unique solutions (that aren't talked about a lot) to common problems in the scene - especially when it comes to traffic sources & networks.

And for me, "that next step" should (actually) feel like FOMO for days (in some cases, even months) - like I sometimes leave my researched opportunities (a.k.a. notes, data screenshots from managers, traffic source sites, and/or networks, etc) open in tabs, that I check every now & then. And if I find myself constantly thinking about it (& the thoughts/feeling don't just die out after a few days), I'll start taking action on it.

By doing all of this is how I managed to find a safer way to success (vs what was being promoted in forums, etc), when I was starting out (which is
this thread). And there's always new (but just a few) traffic sources & networks popping up that are built to offer a unique & safer solution for Affiliates.

Amazing interview, thank you DEADZ. I appreciate your feedback on affLIFT and as always, appreciate you being so open about what you're doing and your insights into the industry.

If you enjoyed this interview with DEADZ, check out some of the others we have done πŸ‘‡

OpenAFF is the first technology affiliate network
Amazing as always! Have to say, when I was sick last year for quite a while, I felt lost when I returned. I was making mistakes like I just started out. I joined DEADZ Media Lab, basically relearnt media buying and reached new heights. I won't even get into details about media buying strategies/tips he shares, it's the mindset that helped me get out of that rut! We are lucky to have you here @DEADZ :)

And anyone thinking of joining his Media Lab should do so right away!

I personally consider affLIFT essential for Affiliates (especially beginners & intermediates) to get answers & help on anything. There's multiple times a week where (instead of having to answer certain questions) I just do a quick search on affLIFT & send people links to threads that already have the answer.
That's great to hear πŸ‘

Maybe bigger contests - Maybe like aim for 1 a year that includes 3-6 networks, 3-6 traffic sources, & more deals & prizes for participants. I imagine it'd be harder to pull off, but could be something for the team to work towards during the whole year. And ideal/dream scenario would be that networks & traffic sources would want to "compete" against each other as well (to be the one in the winning thread), and offer "incentives" (specific campaign recommendations, higher rates, faster payments, recommended whitelists, bonus on deposit/spend, etc) for people to use their network/traffic source.
I like this idea. Maybe do a few of the regular contests we've been doing and one big one with multiple sponsors as you've mentioned. We could run it a bit longer as well. It would be a lot more work, but I assume we would also get quite a bit more engagement on it. Something to consider for sure :)

I also think (at some point) Community Leaders shouldn't participate in contests (in general), or maybe they can "donate" their wins to their favorite thread or something along those lines. I think the goal should be to stimulate more activity from newcommers, lurkers/more "unknown" members, etc (& also if executed correctly, these contests should pull more intermediate affiliates towards joining & participating in AffLift). I do think some members can get discouraged to participate if they see the most popular members (which are usually the community leaders) participating/winning all the time.
For the most part, I encourage the Community Leaders to participate in the contests for the opposite reason. The goal is for them to encourage other members to participate by showing them the way (being a leader).

The goal of the contests is to get everyone to take action. That is why the bar is set so low to participate (and why most contests have money set aside for literally everyone who participates). It's up to you, the member, to create your success from it. We're just creating the opportunity for you to take advantage of :)

However, we're an open community and if other members think it's unfair for Community Leaders to participate/win money because of their position, we can change that. I just don't think their position is having as much of an impact.

Also, the main thing that attracted me to affLIFT was because (at that time) Luke was making videos. So might be something to consider, like even if it's "monthly recap" videos on Youtube (like the videos from ExoClick, AdLeaks, and/or MaxWeb) & highlight best threads, tips, (interviews), etc of the month (& this can also serve as extra promo/asset for affLIFT).
Yeah, I agree 100% that I need to get back to doing videos.

For the most part, I encourage the Community Leaders to participate in the contests for the opposite reason. The goal is for them to encourage other members to participate by showing them the way (being a leader).

The goal of the contests is to get everyone to take action. That is why the bar is set so low to participate (and why most contests have money set aside for literally everyone who participates). It's up to you, the member, to create your success from it. We're just creating the opportunity for you to take advantage of :)

However, we're an open community and if other members think it's unfair for Community Leaders to participate/win money because of their position, we can change that. I just don't think their position is having as much of an impact.
I will make a poll soon where we can get member input on whether or not Community Leaders should be able to win a prize from the contests we hold and let you all decide πŸ‘

Awesome interview, need to bookmark and come back later to digest this properly, nice one @Luke @DEADZ

πŸš€ What is 1 thing we can add to affLIFT to make it better? This can be something the community does or something I do personally to make the forum better.

More interviews like this :)

More interviews like this :)
haha, I agree. I had another epiphany the other day and I was like "WHY HAVEN'T I INTERVIEWED DEADZ YET?!??!!"

Who should be next?

I'm currently being coached by @DEADZ , all I can say is that he is a very down to earth guy. He will literally ask you about your struggles and give you advice (no fluff) on how to progress.

I really recommend being coached by Darnel, if you match with his personality.

Amazing and very down-to-earth interview. I always enjoy DEADZ's posts.

Amazing interview, thank you DEADZ. I appreciate your feedback on affLIFT and as always, appreciate you being so open about what you're doing and your insights into the industry.

Thanks again for the opportunity @Luke! It's highly appreciated! πŸ™

I will make a poll soon where we can get member input on whether or not Community Leaders should be able to win a prize from the contests we hold and let you all decide πŸ‘

Yes, was just my thoughts & observations (which might be way off). I did get some messages thanking me for mentioning it, though.

I do understand the "leading by example" point, but that's also why I mentioned "maybe they can "donate" their wins to their favorite thread". The main thing (from my observation, at least) is that the contests give people more "room to fail & experiment" (which is rare in this scene). Like someone can participate in a contest & know that even if their campaign fails during the follow along, that if they de liver value in their thread, they can (at least) "get their investment back", or even still "end up in profit" after the whole process (if they win one of the prizes).

For example, I can imagine someone worried about wasting their $200 on a bad campaign & getting stuck in a analysis-paralysis loop (also a cause for Lurk mode), but if they see that they can win $1000 & even if they don't win, they can still get that $200 "back" - that scenario in itself is a "value add" for just being a member of affLIFT + it adds to your USP/Value Prop, because no other forum has monthly contest & so many prizes like that. But I think "that effect" goes out the window when community leaders participate, (for example) they already have a strong following + constantly rank in top posters of the month + the community leader badge in itself has an (psychological) affect, as in people automatically think they should give more attention & value to their posts, etc + there's also the negative (psychological) affect, where people can think why would a community leader "need to" participate in contests, if they are already making bank. Like (a more personal example) I think for myself, it would be "unfair" (in so many ways, & that's eventhough I'm also paying member, like everyone else) for me to participate in a contest, so instead of participating, I rather call (more) attention (like I did in example 1 & example 2) to follow alongs that I think are good (& also while showing my support on the threads themselves). But that's just my point of view, maybe the majority doesn't even mind it at all.

+ Just to be clear, I'm (not bashing or anything,) only mentioning this because I see that @Luke (& the leaders) actually care & I also have a lot of respect for the forum. If it was any other forum, I wouldn't even bother.

Amazing as always! Have to say, when I was sick last year for quite a while, I felt lost when I returned. I was making mistakes like I just started out. I joined DEADZ Media Lab, basically relearnt media buying and reached new heights. I won't even get into details about media buying strategies/tips he shares, it's the mindset that helped me get out of that rut! We are lucky to have you here @DEADZ :)

And anyone thinking of joining his Media Lab should do so right away!
I'm currently being coached by @DEADZ , all I can say is that he is a very down to earth guy. He will literally ask you about your struggles and give you advice (no fluff) on how to progress.

I really recommend being coached by Darnel, if you match with his personality.
Fantastic interview guys. And @DEADZ thank you so much for sharing your passion, knowledge and experience with us!
Great interview. I have probably read every post that @DEADZ has made on this site, some of them several times.
Awesome interview, need to bookmark and come back later to digest this properly, nice one @Luke @DEADZ
Excellent.I need to go through his advice/media lab and recommended books also again and again.
Amazing and very down-to-earth interview. I always enjoy DEADZ's posts.

Thank you, guys! (Truly) Means a lot. πŸ™

---

P.S. I'm (always) open to answering any questions, so if anyone has any (more) questions, I'll be more than happy to answer them (here).

Last edited:
Wow! I set aside a few hours to go through Deadz recommended content and have realized it's going to take days, even weeks as there are so many branches leading off to something else interesting.

The thing I am most grateful for is the links. Without the links, I doubt I would have visited these sites/videos/books etc. So a massive thanks to Deadz for taking the time to include them.(y)

My Bookmarks Toolbar now has a dedicated "Deadz" folder which contains all 37 links just from his post! They then lead to dozens of others so I will be busy educating myself over the next few months.πŸ™‚

I have a feeling I will be going into some deep learning and will learn a lot about myself, my attitudes and how I will go about approaching affiliate marketing in the future, but more than that I will be learning about my overall outlook on life and other people. Deadz is deep and thoughtful about things with a philosophical outlook I think I share. I look forward to learning from him and growing personally, and as a marketer. This is going to be a life-changing journey for me.πŸ€”

As my small contribution, for anyone interested in reinventing themselves (which I am now doing after the pandemic changed my outlook on life), there is a free ebook by Chris Farrel called "Reinvent Yourself". It's a short (and free) ebook you can download from Facebook - search for "projectreinventyourself".

It's more of a confidence booster than a deep dive, but it might just give a kick up the backside to get you motivated if that's what you need (like myself).

To Deadz - you are now my unofficial Mentor. Most respect.πŸ§‘β€πŸŽ“

Namaste. πŸ™

Ps. Deadz - there is no need for brackets in your writing - they disrupt the flow of the reader and hinder getting your message across.
I don't mean to lecture my 'Unofficial Mentor', but if you remove them it reads better. We (writers) ;) tend to add brackets when we want to clarify something specific, but your writing is so succinct it doesn't require them. There you go - constructive criticism and a compliment for balance!

Last edited:
Great interview! I've read every post from Deadz in Afflift, too.
I agree with this.

where people can think why would a community leader "need to" participate in contests, if they are already making bank.
I don't think most Community Leaders are making bank. I don't hire Community Leaders on affLIFT because they're super affiliates killing it. I hire them because they can bring value to the community in their own way. I hired @jimmyvanilla to be a Community Leader like 2 months after he started affiliate marketing πŸ˜†

BUT, I do understand what you're saying. I don't include myself in any of the prizes for the same reason. We do all benefit from affLIFT in ways that regular members do not.

So, I have opened a poll for the community to decide how we move forward for contests :)

Everyone please go vote πŸ‘