Ad + Lander Advice from PPC Master JackySan

Adsterra

nitin

Grand Guru
Hey guys,

So I was trying to promote a product on bing "Wifi UltraBoost". It is a device used to increase wifi speed. I had 2 sales initially but then it stopped selling and was just draining money. As always, I pinged PPC Master @JackySan for advice. First to lay down the context, here were my ads and corresponding landing pages. (I was split-testing 2 ads/landers)

(I uploaded landers to my aws, instead of actual vultr servers so that link does not break incase I decide to shut down my server sometime in future)

First Ad+Lander:

ad:

landing page:

Second Ad+Lander:

ad:

Landing page:

In the next comment, I'll post his comments on the ads and landing pages.

Last edited:
CrakRevenue
Direct from Master @JackySan's brain:

Ok so actually last time I didn't read the text and just had a quick glance at your page.

Now I actually read it.

I also had a look at the other one and as far as I can tell, none of these pages is a good fit for PPC.

This one would be Ok for native:

And this one:

It would only be good as a 2nd page of your funnel, ie after the presell / review / description / advertorial.

Or for retargeting.

About this one:

Advertorials like this do not do well on PPC, I've tested several in the past.

It is too "sensational" - the part about the ISPs controversy is not believable. It won't work on high-intent search traffic where people know what they are looking for.

When someone clicks on your "review" ad, you clearly mention review there, but the page doesn't look like a review at all.

You're attracting people who may already be hesitating between wifi extenders and want to check out another option or validate that their current favorite option is a good fit for them.

But this page screams "I want to sell you this at all cost"

Also in your ad, when you clearly mention that it's a review, add the cost of the product directly there. It will reduce the amount of curiosity clicks - on PPC you don't want the MOST clicks, you want the most targeted ones instead, because each click costs you money. This is not the case when paying on CPM basis, like on FB and many native networks for example.

That being said, I have had great success with this model on PPC, but you must have these in place:

1/ A clean and relatively short presell - don't make it too long and don't make it clustered.

You want to introduce the product as a reviewer. You don't want people eyes to move through your article to the sidebar and vice versa.

2/ You do have to be a little bit pushy but with some balance. It must look and feel credible.

3/ What I like to do is to list features and immediately translate them into benefits. Usually one or two sentences per feature/benefit.

4/ Do not have your affiliate link above the fold. Do not link images to the order form. Do not have a special offer in the sidebar immediately visible when someone visits the page for 2 reasons:

* It makes it feel unauthentic and biased.

* It leads to non-targeted click-throughs. Yes your LP CTR will look great, but it's non-qualified traffic. It will not convert and it will hurt the trustiness factor of your "review". Do not send people to the offer before having explained why the product is a great fit for them.

5/ And actually do not send traffic to the offer page directly unless it has testimonials. Build another page that is filled with customer testimonials.

The flow should look like this:

A/ Your ad: mention it is a review and mention the price directly there

B/ Your "review": A bit pushy but not too much - no link above the fold, no cluster - must be clean and to the point

C/ Social proof - a page that has customer testimonials

D/ Order form

I can give you an example of one of my campaigns, but I'd like this to benefit afflift users as well.

If you want, let's continue this discussion in the forum.

Create a thread with your ads and review pages on afflift in the search traffic section (it doesn't have enough activity), I'll post my comments there and give an example campaign.

Nice one @nitin this is very interesting, in fact Google has just sent me a 120 bonus code so was thinking what can I do with it :cool:

Great recommendations!

@JackySan do you take this approach with pretty much every eComm offer like this or also for other lead gen offers that can be promoted on Bing?

Nice one @nitin this is very interesting, in fact Google has just sent me a 120 bonus code so was thinking what can I do with it :cool:

Wait, something else is needed if you plan to run this kind of campaigns on Google. You can't send traffic to a review page. You need to act like if you were the vendor or at least a reseller. You'll want to have a website where the homepage is dedicated to selling that specific product, or a range of products. If you have this, then you can send traffic to a review for one of your "store's products".

This is why @JackySan is one of my favorite people πŸ‘

Thanks Luke, always nice to read :)

Great recommendations!

@JackySan do you take this approach with pretty much every eComm offer like this or also for other lead gen offers that can be promoted on Bing?

Yes I only do it with ecomm offers. I've tried lead gen to build my own email lists but I'm really terrible at monetizing them. Never tried affiliate lead gen offers, but would probably work as well.

As I promised you @nitin, here's one of my campaigns. It's currently paused because it's seasonal - it works very well in Spring, Summer and November + December.

I know that I'll probably create a bit more competition for myself this year by showing this, but feel all free to rip it, customize it and run it if you wish. I've switched my focus to another business model anyway :)

It's not a big campaign, but it still makes around $15,000 per year, with 100% ROI on Bing alone. 70% of its revenue in November and December.

I'm bidding on one single keyword: drone (broad match)

I've split tested many ads, but the winning one is:

@nitin as I told you, it's good to mention the price directly in the ad - you will get less clicks but it will filter out those searching for cheaper drones.

This ad takes them to this lander (I've put it on amazon s3 as I don't want to reveal on which domain it runs - I have plenty of campaigns running from that domain):

As you can see, there's no link above the fold - they first have to read a bit about the drone, check out a video, and only after I start to show my link.

That link sends to a pre-checkout page, with customer testimonials. Those who clicked the link are showing interest, they want to know more but they're not sold yet - the testimonials are there to add social proof. If it's great for others, then it can be good for them too right?

It's only on this pre-checkout page that my affiliate link appears.

This ugly pre-checkout page works very well with seniors by the way. Maybe you've already seen it on native.

For this specific campaign, my best performing audience is USA - men aged 55+.
You find this after you get enough conversions, but this helps a lot for optimizing the campaign.

When you find out who your audience is, you need to use pictures in your review that makes you look like one of them.

Look at the hands of the "reviewer"

Tip: to get these images, I search for real reviews on Youtube, and then I screenshot the parts I want to use.

Let me know if anything's unclear.

Great presell @JackySan ! Thanks for sharing.. Now I get an idea of what kind of presell to use. Do you make all your presells yourself or rip and run like alot of other affiliates?

"It's currently paused because it's seasonal - it works very well in Spring, Summer and November + December"
Curious what makes it seasonal?

"I know that I'll probably create a bit more competition for myself this year by showing this, but feel all free to rip it, customize it and run it if you wish."
I'll rip, customize and run this flow for another product.

Should we make this kind of flow for product name bidding too or should we send them direct to offer-page for product name bidding? (Though atm I have got all my conversions using a presell only - never by sending them direct to offer-page, it might have to do something about product I was bidding on or my previous bing account though.)

Can you tell a little about optimization also - do you just optimize presell and ads or require a lot of cutting search terms and negative keywords too. (Though I believe it would vary from product to product) And in what order do you optimize. (Like you told for native, banner is more crutial than lander)

"For this specific campaign, my best performing audience is USA - men aged 55+"
I have seen mainly tier-1 countries only working for me. Do you test world-wide or just in tier-1 countries or probably each country you feel has potential in a different campaign.

I suppose it is "blog" style that makes user feel that it is unbiased that makes it work so well. My lander was direct "buy buy buy" and user would have been overwhelmed with that. So I guess its best to use blog style always. Not sure why when I did manually spy before, I never saw landers like these, mostly the "native" type landers only, might be because of my geo. Do you use some spy tool too or do it all manually?

I suppose the fb and twitter share buttons at the bottom are just to make it feel authentic. And I see that you have installed google analytics code too. I too had installed google analytics and hotjar in my lander. I found hotjar quite useful but could not derive much of benefit from google analytics code. Can you tell a little about how you use that too please.

Also, what kind of ad extensions were you using with this ad?
(Too many questions πŸ˜…πŸ˜… Started with just 2-3 but kept adding as they started coming in my mind.)

Thanks again for guiding so well :)

Last edited:
Great presell @JackySan ! Thanks for sharing.. Now I get an idea of what kind of presell to use. Do you make all your presells yourself or rip and run like alot of other affiliates?

I rip, customize and run. I also take bits and pieces from different landers.

"It's currently paused because it's seasonal - it works very well in Spring, Summer and November + December"
Curious what makes it seasonal?

Not sure, I say this just based on past performance. Nov+Dec are obvious, Black Friday and Christmas. Spring and Summer people probably tend to enjoy playing outside a bit more.

Should we make this kind of flow for product name bidding too or should we send them direct to offer-page for product name bidding? (Though atm I have got all my conversions using a presell only - never by sending them direct to offer-page, it might have to do something about product I was bidding on or my previous bing account though.)

It depends, but most of the time I've found sending straight to the order form was more profitable.

Can you tell a little about optimization also - do you just optimize presell and ads or require a lot of cutting search terms and negative keywords too. (Though I believe it would vary from product to product) And in what order do you optimize. (Like you told for native, banner is more crutial than lander)

* Optimize ads to find the one giving the best combination of Ad CTR + AIDA. It's important to take AIDA into account, and not Ad CTR only, you could have ads that have a very high click through rate, but then your traffic bounces back because it's not what they expected.

* Improve landers AIDA for all steps, sometimes I have 4 or 5 step funnels

* Cut search terms based on AIDA

For that drone, here are my negative keywords (phrase match):

The "iran" one spiked last year.

"For this specific campaign, my best performing audience is USA - men aged 55+"
I have seen mainly tier-1 countries only working for me. Do you test world-wide or just in tier-1 countries or probably each country you feel has potential in a different campaign.

When bidding on topics, I start with US. If it works, I try other tier-1 English-speaking countries. If it works, I do worldwide and usually like to exclude India. It sends too much non-converting traffic.

I suppose it is "blog" style that makes user feel that it is unbiased that makes it work so well. My lander was direct "buy buy buy" and user would have been overwhelmed with that. So I guess its best to use blog style always. Not sure why when I did manually spy before, I never saw landers like these, mostly the "native" type landers only, might be because of my geo. Do you use some spy tool too or do it all manually?

Native and search traffic are indeed very different. But you can still rip landers found from native sources if you customize them. The drone funnel above is based on multiple native landers/flows I found on Adplexity for drone x pro. I changed it to work with search traffic.

I suppose the fb and twitter share buttons at the bottom are just to make it feel authentic. And I see that you have installed google analytics code too. I too had installed google analytics and hotjar in my lander. I found hotjar quite useful but could not derive much of benefit from google analytics code. Can you tell a little about how you use that too please.

I put the Google Analytics pixel (and sometimes FB's too) for retargeting purposes. When retargeting, I send traffic to the pre-checkout page, not to the review.

Also, what kind of ad extensions were you using with this ad?
(Too many questions πŸ˜…πŸ˜… Started with just 2-3 but kept adding as they started coming in my mind.)

No extension :)
I use extensions when I want to look like the official vendor.

Thanks again for guiding so well :)

Cheers! Glad to help :)

I rip, customize and run. I also take bits and pieces from different landers.

Not sure, I say this just based on past performance. Nov+Dec are obvious, Black Friday and Christmas. Spring and Summer people probably tend to enjoy playing outside a bit more.

It depends, but most of the time I've found sending straight to the order form was more profitable.

* Optimize ads to find the one giving the best combination of Ad CTR + AIDA. It's important to take AIDA into account, and not Ad CTR only, you could have ads that have a very high click through rate, but then your traffic bounces back because it's not what they expected.

* Improve landers AIDA for all steps, sometimes I have 4 or 5 step funnels

* Cut search terms based on AIDA

For that drone, here are my negative keywords (phrase match):

View attachment 8158

The "iran" one spiked last year.

When bidding on topics, I start with US. If it works, I try other tier-1 English-speaking countries. If it works, I do worldwide and usually like to exclude India. It sends too much non-converting traffic.

Native and search traffic are indeed very different. But you can still rip landers found from native sources if you customize them. The drone funnel above is based on multiple native landers/flows I found on Adplexity for drone x pro. I changed it to work with search traffic.

I put the Google Analytics pixel (and sometimes FB's too) for retargeting purposes. When retargeting, I send traffic to the pre-checkout page, not to the review.

No extension :)
I use extensions when I want to look like the official vendor.

Cheers! Glad to help :)
Thanks @JackySan

Ok so actually last time I didn't read the text and just had a quick glance at your page.

Now I actually read it.

I also had a look at the other one and as far as I can tell, none of these pages is a good fit for PPC.

And this one:

It would only be good as a 2nd page of your funnel, ie after the presell / review / description / advertorial.

Or for retargeting.

About this one:

It is too "sensational" - the part about the ISPs controversy is not believable. It won't work on high-intent search traffic where people know what they are looking for.

When someone clicks on your "review" ad, you clearly mention review there, but the page doesn't look like a review at all.

You're attracting people who may already be hesitating between wifi extenders and want to check out another option or validate that their current favorite option is a good fit for them.

Also in your ad, when you clearly mention that it's a review, add the cost of the product directly there. It will reduce the amount of curiosity clicks - on PPC you don't want the MOST clicks, you want the most targeted ones instead, because each click costs you money. This is not the case when paying on CPM basis, like on FB and many native networks for example.

That being said, I have had great success with this model on PPC, but you must have these in place:

1/ A clean and relatively short presell - don't make it too long and don't make it clustered.

You want to introduce the product as a reviewer. You don't want people eyes to move through your article to the sidebar and vice versa.

2/ You do have to be a little bit pushy but with some balance. It must look and feel credible.

3/ What I like to do is to list features and immediately translate them into benefits. Usually one or two sentences per feature/benefit.

4/ Do not have your affiliate link above the fold. Do not link images to the order form. Do not have a special offer in the sidebar immediately visible when someone visits the page for 2 reasons:

* It leads to non-targeted click-throughs. Yes your LP CTR will look great, but it's non-qualified traffic. It will not convert and it will hurt the trustiness factor of your "review". Do not send people to the offer before having explained why the product is a great fit for them.

5/ And actually do not send traffic to the offer page directly unless it has testimonials. Build another page that is filled with customer testimonials.

B/ Your "review": A bit pushy but not too much - no link above the fold, no cluster - must be clean and to the point

D/ Order form

I can give you an example of one of my campaigns, but I'd like this to benefit afflift users as well.

Create a thread with your ads and review pages on afflift in the search traffic section (it doesn't have enough activity), I'll post my comments there and give an example campaign.
thanks Man huge value

@Max9Ads no I don't.

I have a similar flow: presell >> pre-checkout with testimonials >> offer but the presell format is different.
It's story based.

cool,thank for your sharing this case .
1: if all of the M4trix offers need bulid presell page by ourself or just send traffic to the M4trix prelanders to test ?
2: M4trix is different from this post The BEST keyword to target (when you are allowed to) ,if some network have good "names of the products " ,can we send traffic to product page directly ?

Last edited:
Wait, something else is needed if you plan to run this kind of campaigns on Google. You can't send traffic to a review page. You need to act like if you were the vendor or at least a reseller. You'll want to have a website where the homepage is dedicated to selling that specific product, or a range of products. If you have this, then you can send traffic to a review for one of your "store's products".

Thanks for the awesome value that you provide on here Jacky. I have the following questions:

1) Why do you say that we can't send traffic to a review page from Google Ads? What else is different in terms of promotion strategies on Bing vs Google for affiliate campaigns?

2) I see that the presell benefits very well from including a product/review video, do you always include video of the products/offers that you promote on search traffic? What if there's no review/product video available online? Do you then make it yourself or have it made from Fiverr?

3) Do you always follow this type of funnel on search traffic: presell >> pre-checkout with testimonials >> offer? Also do you promote a product/offer if there's not enough USPs/discounts/testimonials/product images, that you can include on a presell and pre-checkout pages? Or do you promote them with a different strategy?

4) You mention above that on Native, you use a similar flow to search traffic but it's story based. What kind of story? Is the story like a presell based on a customer of the product who already used it and sharing the positive results? Would love to see your strategy on Native too.

Now I actually read it.

And this one:

Or for retargeting.

About this one:

D/ Order form

How do you create this kind of landing page + Check out a page? If it is an affiliate product then how to connect with an affiliate offers with this check out page.