Prosper202 is FREE again

OpenAFF is the first technology affiliate network
Oh lord I remember trying to use this about 10ā€“11 years ago. I couldnā€™t figure it out back then. What a noob. Oh wait, I can barely figure out how to use beMob and thatā€™s super simple. But Iā€™ll give it a try. The price is right

As the developer, Iā€™m biased and think itā€™s easy to use. I am open to hearing your thoughts on how I can make it easier.

Since you last used it, I have added a feature called Bot202 Link Assistant. It automatically detects affiliate links from hundreds of networks and automatically formats them with the [[subid]] token.

Over the years, getting the affiliate link setup for correct tracking was one of the biggest sources of support tickets. Itā€™s now down to almost zero.

kaminari
It would be so nice a centos/ubuntu vps installation turorial... :(
Imposible for me, and installing it with cpanel is much more slow when using it....

Guys I decided to give Prosper202 another try. I tested it some years ago when there was still a free version, but it was buggy and couldn't make it work.

Unfortunately this time I can't get past the installation/configuration. I'll share some issues I'm facing in hopes someone knows how to fix them and also to help other affiliates who migth be struggling with the same issues.

Server: VPS with 1 VCPU and 4 GB RAM
MySQL: Tried 5.6, 5.7 and 8
PHP: Tried 7.0, 7.2 and 7.4 with OPCache and Memcached installed

Here are some of the issues I'm facing:

1.- Installation never completes after clicking "Install Prosper202" - The installation times out
I remember having this same error some years ago. I don't know why this happens but you can fix it by increasing the max_execution_time in PHP.
Installation will take some minutes to complete but it will work at the end.

2.- Warning: session_start(): Unable to clear session lock record + Prosper is super slow
This error keeps showing up no matter what I try. This has to do with Memcached and shows from PHP 7.0 to 7.4
When using Memcached, Prosper's interface is also super slow.
Switching to Redis makes the error go away and makes the interface a little faster, but I'm not sure this is a good workaround and have not compared redirect speeds.

3.-Autocron is disabled after install + Cannot switch it on
I donĀ“t know if this affects performance or stats, but Autocron keeps showing as off, even if you switch it on.

Lastly, this is not a bug but a question I have for Prosper users:

Let's say I have a Landing page with one affiliate link, but I have 3 banners all with the same link.
I'd like to pass a variable to the offer link, so I can test which banner performs better. To give an example:

https://domain.foo/tracking202/redirect/go.php?rpi=186&banner=banner1 <----

Is this possible with Prosper?

Last edited:
check permissions of your PHP session folder and make sure that Nginx or apache has rights to that folder, its usually something like /var/lib/php/session

Also, not sure if ubuntu installs SELinux or not check that to see if it's enforcing

Here are some of the issues I'm facing:

1.- Installation never completes after clicking "Install Prosper202" - The installation times out
I remember having this same error some years ago. I don't know why this happens but you can fix it by increasing the max_execution_time in PHP.
Installation will take some minutes to complete but it will work at the end.

2.- Warning: session_start(): Unable to clear session lock record + Prosper is super slow
This error keeps showing up no matter what I try. This has to do with Memcached and shows from PHP 7.0 to 7.4
When using Memcached, Prosper's interface is also super slow.
Switching to Redis makes the error go away and makes the interface a little faster, but I'm not sure this is a good workaround and have not compared redirect speeds.

3.-Autocron is disabled after install + Cannot switch it on
I donĀ“t know if this affects performance or stats, but Autocron keeps showing as off, even if you switch it on.

Lastly, this is not a bug but a question I have for Prosper users:

Let's say I have a Landing page with one affiliate link, but I have 3 banners all with the same link.
I'd like to pass a variable to the offer link, so I can test which banner performs better. To give an example:

https://domain.foo/tracking202/redirect/go.php?rpi=186&banner=banner1 <----

Is this possible with Prosper?

Thanks for giving Prosper202 a 2nd look and for sharing your solutions to issues you had during the setup process.

1. Prosper202 needs to create a lot of partitions, to optimize reporting. The initial setup is slow and may cause time outs, so editing the max_execution_time is helpful. I've also decoupled the partition creation process from the the ability for Prosper202 to work if a timeout happens. So you are less likly to have issues there.

2. This seems to be an issue with trying to use memcached for session storage. It's not necessary to do this, unless you are doing a multi clickserver setup behind a load balancer and want to share login state across multiple servers. I've never had this cause the interface to slowdown, and it's not something that should be tied directly to redirect speeds. If redis is working for you, feel free to use that. However right now, the BlazerCache feature (for redirects) depends on memcached. It's important but only absolutely essential if you are sending massive amounts of clicks.

3. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll update the ui. Auto cron was a feature that automatically pinged the cron job url from our server to save users from having to manually setup cron jobs for database maintenance tasks and more. It's been disabled on our end for now and replaced to a work around that uses your interaction with the dashboard as a trigger for the crons.

What you want with the variable passing is not currently working in 1.9.55, but it's working in 1.9.56. If you are interested in testing it early just LMK.

thanks

What you want with the variable passing is not currently working in 1.9.55, but it's working in 1.9.56. If you are interested in testing it early just LMK.

Hey, Nana, I'd be interested in having a play with the new version as I'm bored atm lol

Also, is there a replacement for mycrypt as its depreciated in PHP 7.2?

Hey, Nana, I'd be interested in having a play with the new version as I'm bored atm lol

Also, is there a replacement for mycrypt as its depreciated in PHP 7.2?

lol, sure no problem. Give me a bit to clean up a few things (debug statements) in the code. I'll ping you when it's ready.

Thanks

Hey @T202Nana thanks a lot for the information! I was almost pulling my hair out šŸ˜„

Sure I'd like to give it a try, it would help me a lot with a campaign I'm currently setting up.

I'm getting around 3M clicks per month. Would it help performance wise if I set up a cron job?

Hey @T202Nana thanks a lot for the information! I was almost pulling my hair out šŸ˜„

Sure I'd like to give it a try, it would help me a lot with a campaign I'm currently setting up.

I'm getting around 3M clicks per month. Would it help performance wise if I set up a cron job?

Cool, I'll send you details for the early beta as soon as I'm done.

For the most part, it may take a few months to really need to worry about the cron jobs. Plus, as long as you login often enough, you may not have to do anything manually.

You can run the cron on /202-cronjobs/index.php server side via cron or you can use the easy way and just plug that url into an uptime monitoring service. Anything pinging at least once an hour should be enough for 3 million clicks a month.

I guess I am late to the party. I just posted about this before I ran across this thread.

I bet it is still old code... if they pushed hard from the start on their tracker they would have conquered the space. RIP to 202 team
You should do your homework before making a statement like that. I have followed Nana for many years and he is always staying on top of the latest trends and requirements in the tracking space and provides very frequent updates to Prosper202 and he does it very well for a one-man-band.

Prosper202 is really easy to use. Like anything else, you just have to go through the setup processes a few times and you'll have no issue šŸ‘
@agentf set me up and configured a prosper202 tracker on one of my domains using vultr.

Thanks to everyone who helped, assisted, prodded and encouraged me to try prosper202 and especially @agentf @T202Nana for offering this great tool

AffLIFT again for the win. AffLIFT is The best resource for AM young & old, experienced or newb

Ohhhh yeahhhhh :D

Hey all,

Thanks Luke for sharing the news.

The free Prosper202 is the exact same code as the paid Prosper202. I'll explain more about the reasoning later down.

Prosper202 has been under almost solo development since 2011, I returned to work on it after Wes and Steven purchased it back.

Wes eventually moved on to other projects and I took over it full time.

Thereā€™re a lot of new things to discover and benefit from in Prosper202. Some of them were/are industry firsts. I fully expect other trackers will adopt some of the stuff I built, it's competition.

Here are examples of tech Prosper202 was first to have purlink zero redirects. Thatā€™s the ability to eliminate redirects from your lp to your offer. It uses your affiliate link directly but Is faster due to automatic optimizations Prosper202 does on the landing page

Currently Prosper202 is also the first and only tracker to offer deferred pixels.This allows you to fire client side pixels with a postback. Imagine being able to build FB purchase LLAs even if your offer only allows postbacks.

Thereā€™s a lot more, so skim the changelogs to see everything.

Currently I have Warp202 under development. Itā€™s an entirely new plug in redirect engine built for speed. I ditched php which is old and sluggish and wrote everything with Go. Itā€™s enterprise level performance, we are talking about the ability to handle thousands of redirects in milliseconds.

So why free? Why now?

People have never stopped asking for the free Prosper202 to come back since it became paid. So I have always known there was a need for it.
But the old way Prosper202 was eventually monetized (we launched Revolution202) is not a model I wanted to redo so it become paid.

Luke didn't mention this, but he asked for deal (cheaper Prosper202) for all of you. I politely declined.

The logistics of two code bases for free and paid was too much to deal with as a solo dev. The only way this could work is if it was the same code for both free and paid.

I wasn't willing to do that, and also it's kind of scary putting a free version out there that's the exact one people pay for, which in turn pays my bills and keeps my family fed.

But I woke up yesterday thinking about the tens of thousands of people who have been put in worse situations due to the current pandemic. I felt I was in a position to make a small difference in the lives of a small fraction of those who will be affected.

The original free Prosper202 made it possible for thousands of affiliates (people) to make a living during the last big recession in 2007-2009. Some made millions due to having access to Prosper202, and a few went on to do really awesome things for this industry.

You can thank Wes for that, back then I thought it was a terrible idea to offer Prosper202 for free. Now here I am doing the same lol.

If I'm able to replicate just a fraction of that again, it would be worth it.

So I came up with the following idea. Free Prosper202 and Paid Prosper202 will be exactly the same. But the free version doesn't come with live support from me. There's the knowledge base at https://support.tracking202.com for that, and all of you have this forum.

IMHO: Luke's Prosper202 content was/is one of the best. He often went into more detail on stuff than we did on our end. So you are in good hands.

Eventually there will be a way for you to to purchase upgrades that are mainly tied to support and access to my time. The current breakdown is

Plan 1 (estimated price range $29-$49 a month)
Live Chat Support
Weekly live Mastermind202 zoom calls

Plan 2 ( Estimated price $299+ a month)
Everything above and live personal one on one zoom calls for CTO/CMO as a service type assistance.

My hope to is that, you will upgrade to paid plans when they are financially able to do so. At the end of the day, your money pays my bills. It also allows me to support you better and speed up the the development process by bring on more developers.

My feature backlog is massive, I'm heading back to my code editor once this long post is done to finish a major new feature for purlinks.

I will be active here as much as possible, to answer your questions and generally be a part of this community Luke built.

My only ask is to not "expect" me to personally answer your support questions. I will always chime in if I'm free and able to do so, but out of fairness and general sound business practices, my priority will always be to my paid customers.

Is this still free? I don't see the download link anywhere on the page.

Is this still free? I don't see the download link anywhere on the page.

Yes it's still free, you will need to register to create an account so you can get your API key, check out my install guide has the steps in it