Push traffic for affiliate profit in 2019 with Erik Gyepes

kaminari

manu

Grand Guru
Erik Depi Gyepes has gone from pops to adult to push traffic and has made a name for himself as one of the most consistent affiliates in the past years. He is also one of the earlier people to adopt push media buying.

An Affiliate World Europe 2019 speaker, Erik was the perfect fit to talk push media buying after we dissected this traffic type as a push list owner with Andrew Payne in our very first episode.

In this episode, we talk with Erik about:
  • How and why he switched to push traffic?
  • Is it too late to run push traffic?
  • How does push media buying compare to building your own subscriber list?
  • How to prioritize optimization factors for push traffic? Hint: Fresh subscribers are where you should start tests!
  • What are the best and worst verticals for push traffic?
  • What are the opportunities and threats facing push traffic in 2019?
  • The state of the affiliate industry in 2019 in Erik's opinion.

PS: We're also on Spotify now. Follow us here.

OpenAFF is the first technology affiliate network
YESSSS. I am looking forward to watching this in the afternoon.

BTW, I know a guy that was recently interviewed on Erik's blog :D

@erikgyepes is a smart guy that knows his stuff. I am sure this video is epic. Looking forward to it. Will post my notes once I watch 👍

I’m about to catch a flight. Gonna watch this when I’m on the road.

Last edited:
Haha, hope you like it guys.

I just realised how bad is my accent though, should work on my English a bit more :D

Enjoy the interview!

My notes:
  1. I've talked to the folks at Pushground, but I need to get them in the community.
  2. Talked too much about STM (jk, but you're both here now so we have that going for us 😉).
  3. Late into push, but was prior to spy tools. If you beat the spy tools to a source then it's not saturated? :)
  4. Figure out the icon. Headline is very powerful.
  5. Struggled to build his own list.
  6. The fresher people on the list perform best (obvious).
  7. Push ad networks that support age of the user on list (how long they've been on the list): PropellerAds, Pushground, RichPush, AdMaven
  8. Built his own optimizer for adult campaigns he was running.
  9. Verticals: sweeps, dating, financial, nutra
  10. Run broad offers (since you don't know who is going to see your push ad)
  11. There's no way to know what offer is going to perform well without testing it.
  12. Biggest leverage is your angle/landing page.
  13. Love spy tools (if you need one, check out Anstrex, SpyPush, and Anstrex).
  14. Scared of Google, but we don't think they're going to kill push.
  15. Maybe Apple will introduce web push? I don't think so.
  16. It's not easy.
  17. Newbies need to limit expectations.
  18. Affiliate marketing is swings. You earn and lose in swings.
  19. Erik is still learning. We're all still earning (that's one of the fun parts).
  20. Erik is not dumb with his money. You shouldn't be either.
  21. Manu likes blowing his money on bottle service ;)
  22. Start with fresh subscribers and try to scale to older subs.
  23. Erik will be at Affiliate World talking about push.
I really liked the discussion around not being dumb with your money. This is something I am passionate about. I grew up with very little money and I've worked very hard to build up my income. I'm conservative with my money because of that.

Really great video. Appreciate it @manu and @erikgyepes 👍

Manu likes blowing his money on bottle service ;)

Oh, thought I should correct this. :p

It's an answer I got from others. Not sure I could call myself conservative but at least very analytical with money. I try to weigh in price vs reward in every decision. I couldn't say conservative because of my poker past, haha. I'm used to risking money for a reward, which is not exactly conservative.

- Manu likes blowing his money on bottle service ;)

Can confirm this 100%. This guy is drunk at every conference 😂

Jokes aside. There are some people who literally are drunk the whole conferences. They have no idea what's going on for 2-3 days. Manu barely drinks coffee and water. He's a healthy guy!

Jokes aside. There are some people who literally are drunk the whole conferences. They have no idea what's going on for 2-3 days. Manu barely drinks coffee and water. He's a healthy guy!
Haha, I just tweeted about this the other day:

It's fun to have fun, but if you're going to spend the money to go, you should try to get something out of the conference besides a hangover :)

If I’m going to a Internet Marketing conference, I would want to be as sober and as focus as possible unless I have seven figures in my bank account. Then it’s party time. JK. I’m in the beginning stages of IM as far as taking it serious. I would love to go to one of these conferences to meet face to face with my account managers.

Luke will affLIFT have a booth at one of these?

Speaking about the drinking part, it really depends on how much you are able to function while drunk or hungover. I know people who are super good at doing 2-3 days all in with parties and business. Great for them but that's not something I can do, haha.

It's also not a myth that drunk affiliates share more secrets than sober ones, so there's certainly a benefit to that. 😄

Luke will affLIFT have a booth at one of these?
Eventually I'll probably get a booth or in the case of Affiliate Summit, a Meet Market table. I've done the math and it could probably be profitable. I'm planning to attend Affiliate Summit in New York in August. I haven't got my tickets or anything yet, but if I do, I'll probably do a dinner with affLIFT members :)

It's also not a myth that drunk affiliates share more secrets than sober ones, so there's certainly a benefit to that. 😄
Very true. A good friend of mine told me he was talking to a really drunk affiliate years ago at an Affiliate Summit and the guy basically told him how he was banking off acai berries (yes, it was that long ago) and my buddy immediately left the party and setup a campaign that ended up making him like $300k lol

Eventually I'll probably get a booth or in the case of Affiliate Summit, a Meet Market table. I've done the math and it could probably be profitable. I'm planning to attend Affiliate Summit in New York in August. I haven't got my tickets or anything yet, but if I do, I'll probably do a dinner with affLIFT members :)

Very true. A good friend of mine told me he was talking to a really drunk affiliate years ago at an Affiliate Summit and the guy basically told him how he was banking off acai berries (yes, it was that long ago) and my buddy immediately left the party and setup a campaign that ended up making him like $300k lol

Wow I live in NJ. NY is very close. I’ll definitely be at that summit. What’s the dates? I gotta make sure I’m not traveling at that time. It would be nice to meet you there.

And wow 300k of off a drunk conversation. That’s a life changer.