Guide ๐Ÿ“ Naming Conventions for Campaigns, Offers, and Landing Pages

kaminari

Nick

๐Ÿง™๐Ÿปโ€โ™‚๏ธ Wizard ๐Ÿ”ฎ
Staff Member
Community Leader
๐Ÿ‘‰ PRO TIP: A slightly different version of this article was sent out a few weeks ago to my "Affiliate Tip" newsletter subscribers. If you'd like to get valuable, actionable tips to your inbox every week then you can sign up for my Affiliate Tips Newsletter on my website.

Have you ever thought about how you should name your campaigns, offers, and landers in your tracker?

Probably not. ๐Ÿ˜•

I've worked with a lot of new affiliates over the years, and using super basic, non-descriptive names are way too common. Many times I'll see names like this:

Campaigns:
  • Thailand Dating
  • 12345 BTC Revolution
Offers:
  • ClickDealer Dating offer
  • Anti-virus offer #1
Landers:
  • Landing page 1
  • Bitcoin LP

While names like these could easily be manageable right now while you're not running many campaigns, but as soon as you start to scale up you'll run into some serious problems and probably waste a ton of time trying to figure out what's what.

Just think about it. How much time do you think you'll waste using a landing page name like "landing page 1"?

A lot.

You'll first read the name in your tracker, not know what landing page it is, have to switch to your landing page tab in your tracker, get the URL, load the URL in your browser, and only then will you actually know what "landing page 1" really is.

Over a year that'll add up to a lot of wasted time that could be put to better use elsewhere.

Using Descriptive Campaign, Offer, and Landing Page Names

One of the most important things about how you name things in your tracker is that it's descriptive. You want to know exactly what you're looking at just by reading the name. If it's not you can count on wasting your own time.

It's all about being more efficient. ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Depending on the tracker you're using it may partially automatically add some text to your campaign, offer, or landing page titles, such as the GEO, traffic source, language, etc. Some trackers don't do this, so you'll have to take care of it yourself.

Naming Convention General Guidelines

You can pretty much name your campaigns however you want, but there are a couple of things you should consider when doing so:
  • Keep the names short (use abbreviations when it makes sense)
  • Make the names descriptive
  • Instead of using spaces use an underscore ( _ ) or dash ( - ) to separate words
  • Include your targeting options (campaign names)
Pretty easy to do, right?

Note that trackers and/or traffic sources can have character limits for the titles, so keep that in mind when you're deciding on a naming convention that works best for you.

Example Naming Conventions

So then what does an example of a good campaign naming convention look like? Let me show you a couple of different examples that you could use to form your own naming convention for your campaigns, offers, and landing pages...

Campaigns:

• ZP-IN-dating-mobile-3g-POP-CPM
  • ZP-US-sweeps-tablet-wifi-push-CPC-BL
  • PA_US_crypto_mob_android_tmobile_int_CPC_v2
The meaning of the above campaign names:
  • Zeropark traffic source, India GEO, dating vertical, mobile device targeting, 3g connection targeting, pop traffic type, with a CPM bid.
  • Zeropark traffic source, United States GEO, sweepstakes vertical, targeting only tablets, wifi connection type, push traffic type, with a CPC bid, and it's a blacklist campaign.
  • PropellerAds traffic source, United States GEO, cryptocurrency vertical, mobile device targeting, android OS targeting, T-Mobile carrier targeting, interstitial ad format, with a CPC bid, and it's the 2nd version of this campaign.
Offers:
  • 12345-NG-WinPrize-IVR-iPhone11
  • 98765_PL_Bitcoin-News-Trader_Mob_Sprint_$600
  • DE-Dating-One-Love-All-56789
The meaning of the above offer names:
  • Offer #12345, for the GEO Nigeria, offer name is "Win Prize", it's an IVR flow, and the prize is an iPhone 11
  • Offer #98765, for the GEO Poland, offer name is "Bitcoin News Trader", it's restricted to mobile devices and the Spring carrier and the offer payout is $600
  • The offer is for GEO Germany, it's the dating vertical, the offer name is "One Love", it has no restrictions, and the offer number is 56789.
For offers, the order and what you include is totally up to you. Most trackers will automatically show the affiliate network the offer belongs to, so you can most of the time leave that out.

I suggest at the bare minimum that you always include the offer number in the affiliate network so you can easily look it up if needed.

Landing Pages:
  • EN_BTC_Elon_Advertorial
  • DE-AT-Norton-AV-Black-Header-$19.99
  • ES-Generic-Loan-Green-Click-Through-Push-Back-Button
The meaning of the above lander names:
  • English language, bitcoin lander with Elon M*** as an Advertorial
  • German language, specifically for Austria (country flag on the page), for Norton Anti-virus product, the landing page has a black header, and there is a price listed on the landing page for $19.99
  • Spanish language, generic lander for a loan offer, the color scheme is green and the lander serves as a simple click through to the offer, and a push collection script and back button script are enabled.
In lander names, I always include the "name" I've personally given the lander (folder in my web hosting) and the language (since the same lander can be used in other countries if you translate them) ;).

There are a lot of ways you can name your campaigns, offer, and landing pages. Do what you prefer... maybe you like underscores better than dashes, or you like to make the GEO first in the name; it's all up to you to decide.

Remember your naming conventions are for you. They should be descriptive enough for YOU to know what they are; they don't have to make sense to anyone else. Just make sure you use the same format every time. ;)

If you have any questions feel free to leave them below.

๐ŸŽ„ Merry 25th of December ๐Ÿ˜ƒ and Happy New Year! ๐ŸŽ†

Last edited:
OpenAFF is the first technology affiliate network
thanks for the guide @Nick
this is very important especially if you are running many campaigns you can't just name anything.
it's better to always follow one pattern of naming.

- campaign 1
- copy 1
- copy copy 1
- final campaign edit
- final final campaign
- final (final) campaign edit
๐Ÿ˜ท

Haha, just kidding. I'd go crazy if I didn't have a proper naming convention for my everyday needs :D

I saw someone using the "|" character (I think its called a pipe?) for their camp names a while ago. Stole that one, I think it makes the camp/offer etc easily readable, well at least to my eyes ๐Ÿ‘€

For example:

"EG | 3G | IP11 | POPS | 0.50"

I saw someone using the "|" character (I think its called a pipe?) for their camp names a while ago. Stole that one, I think it makes the camp/offer etc easily readable, well at least to my eyes ๐Ÿ‘€

For example:

"EG | 3G | IP11 | POPS | 0.50"
Thatโ€™s also an option. I actually had that as part of the post and removed it last minute. :)

Bumping this because Nick reminded me of how bad I am at it.

I enjoyed this article very much and learned a lot from it, I would like to share one point,

If you run multiple ad formats, you can also show them in the name

For example, I now run popunder, direct click and push,

So I use pop = popunder, dc=Direct Click and pu=push, and add them after date๏ผŒ

I can search"pu-"to find all the push campaigns

If the format of each campaign is the same, you can easily find all the plans in a certain format in a certain geo
This is very useful when you are managing a large number of campaigns